Thursday, June 19, 2008

Oh how I love thee, let me count the ways...

I was filling out one of those stupid MySpace surveys, and rather liked my answer to question #6:

What do you think of hot dogs?

The following is my response:


My thoughts on hot dogs are rather lengthy, and my obsession goes back many years. I love hot dogs more than I can express in a setting such as this. I know that they are usually made out of all the unholy parts of the animal, but so many wrongs seem to make a right in the case of the hot dog. I love them at baseball games, at BBQs, at picnics, at Hockey games, at the movies, from gas stations, from street vendors (esp in NYC or Chicago), from Dairy Queen, from Sonic, and from the cafeteria at UNO. I grew up with them at public school, and knew that on my first day back after summer vacation, the overweight lunch lady would undoubtedly serve me one. And the "first day" hot dog always came accompanied by tater tots, peaches, a brownie and milk. My summer last year with hot dogs was amazing. I had not one, BUT 2 jobs that gave me free frankfurters. I slung weiners all summer long for ClearChannel. Every Wednesday was Weenie Wednesday, and I could eat as many as I wanted. I also got free hotdogs occasionally when I worked at the Omaha Royals games. If I am on the fence about taking a job, one of the deciding factors is whether or not I have access to free weiners. To me, hot dogs are the epitome of summer food, they are not to be eaten until the summer months (or when one is WISHING it was summer). Hot dogs do not taste the same when consumed with 12 inches of snow on the ground and a windchill of 30 below zero. I enjoy watching Nathan's hot dog eating contest every year on the 4th of July on ESPN2, and I am proud to say that my big brown eyes got a little misty when an American stole the title from that sneaky little asain (although you still hold a place in my heart Kobayashi, your trademark "shake" is adorable). So, yes, you could say that my thoughts on hot dogs are favorable...whether they are all beef or pork, in natural casing or in a labratory enhanced shell, footlong or regular boy sized, I love you. Whether you are an ALL BEEF dog from Vienna, a frankfurter from Germany, a wiener adorned "Chicago" style, a Nathan's from NYC, a nice pink one from Fairbury, NE, covered with Kraut and of Polish decent, or circumcised and Kosher from the folks at Hebrew National...whatever your cultural makeup, I love you one and all.


Guess what I am more than likely making for dinner tonight...Matt's gonna be pissed.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

I laughed so hard when I read this. I really like them weiners too.